Saturday, January 31, 2009

Hindu Temple, somewhere outside of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

On one of our random walking trips in Malaysia we passed a Hindu temple and our friend suggested that we check it out. So we did. Unfortunately it was closed but as we were walking around the perimeter we ran into a guy and after chatting a bit he asked if we would like to see the inside of the temple. We said yes, please, and so he had us wait at the front door while he went inside to unlock the gate. It was beautiful. We took off our shoes (protocol) and went inside. One of the neat things about the visit besides the fact that the guy opened the place for us was that we were there all by ourselves (besides a couple of guys who were sweeping flowers off the floor). We saw a few images that we have not seen in the Hindu temples we have been to in India so I took a few photos. The figure with the snake head and the monstery looking guy in base relief (is that the correct term?) were a couple of examples. The monstery guy was all over the place like in different colors like the fleur de lis decoration you see all over New Orleans. Our driver is a devout Hindu and he didn't recognize either the snake god (an iteration of one of the major gods?) or the monstery guy. We are thinking that the monstery guy is a Chinese or other eastern country influence only because it is similar to Chinese images we have seen in the past. Total guess. The temple was amazing. The next day it occurred to me that, for the rest of my life, I will have those images in my head and I will know exactly where the temple is and exactly how to get there. It gave me a kind of strange feeling.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's the good thing about lead paint. The rest is pretty bad I hear. Don't let Joe lick the temple.

Joe and Kristina said...

Too late JT, where were you before we went on the trip? I'm dizzy and my tongue hurts.

Joe