Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Liar Liar Pants on Aag

Aag means fire (I think). About a month ago, I made a reservation for a hotel in Kochi called the Trident. When I made the reservation I lied and said it was our anniversary so that they might give us a room with a nice view or something. Everyone does that right? After we got home from a GREAT and very experience filled day, Kristina went straight to the restaurant of the hotel while I went to the room to drop off our camera. When I got to the room, there was a cake, flowers, and a note from the hotel. Unbelievable. I raced downstairs to tell Kristina, only to find that the restaurant staff had prepared a table for us and, like five guys were waiting to serve us. They had a special menu for us based on the fact that the head chef had chatted with us and found out we liked food from Punjab (he is Punjabi). As usual I am not the only person to find my girlfriend stunningly attractive. Did you know Kristina is Aramaic for "She whose beauty brings men to tears"? But every one there was falling over themselves to spoil us. It goes to show you that saying please and thank you means a lot. Thanks for that JT. What's more, the staff had taken red palm leafs and cut them in the shape of hearts and strewn them on our table (that's them on the menu card in the picture below). They actually set up a table for us in the garden of the hotel but it's monsoon so they thought better of it. Normally, you would choose an appetiser, a main course and a dessert from the menu offering. They prepared everything on the menu for us. Six kinds of naan, two desserts (each), two main courses, etc. I would have taken more pictures but I was vaguely ashamed. All based on a banal lie. Isn't God sending me kind of a mixed message? More pictures of Kochi and Alleppey ("the venice of the East") to follow.













4 comments:

Jin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jin said...

1. what's Aag got to do with it? (in the same rhythm as Tina Turner's song....I get songs stuck in my head sometimes)

2. dude hate to announce this but origin of Kristina is Greek "Form of Kristen. Follower of Christ" but I like your version way better.
Remember when you called me out on what TIP's acronym meant in Miami...well pay back's a bitch..bitch. Still, Joe is to Kristina what tip is to Jin.

3. you should call the manager and complain about the service....maybe you will get a free room like the time you got the free flight...

4. I'm wondering why everyone was starring at her left index finger????

5. what kind of message? the Saiva, Vaishnava, Saktha Gods must have a great sense of humor (you are in freagin India dude. Get over it)

Unknown said...

Hi
I am an Indian who has been staying in the US for the last 8 years and is coming back to India. Needless to say, I will miss the US a lot and all the friendly people. I was wondering, do you know of a hangout that expats in Delhi frequent and/or an expat group? Could you let me know and/or introduce me to some people? Thanks. My name is Abir and I am 26 years old.

Joe and Kristina said...

Hey Abir,

You might want to send an email to info@delhinetwork.org. They can give you more information. We actually live in Gurgaon which is out side of Delhi. You are very smart to be looking into this before you make your move. It was kind of difficult for us to make some connections and now that we have done so our life is a little more normal. Best of luck and hit us up with any questions when you get here. We will be happy to help. Been there, done that.

Joe and Kristina